A classic Thermomix creamy chicken risotto served with a dollop of zingy pesto and topped with panfried bacon and chicken for a complete, quick, weeknight meal.
Thermomix recently released a new risotto recipe for the TM6 called the Risotto Verde. I thought this recipe was going to be fabulous! The dish included pancetta and basil so it was ticking all my flavour boxes. However, after one or two mouthfuls I realised it wasn't quite hitting the mark for me. I was a little disappointed so I decided to create a delicious, family-friendly green risotto of my own.
My recipe is able to be cooked in the TM31, TM5 and the TM6. The instructions are the same for all machines.
To satisfy me this recipe needed to be easy, delicious and a complete meal! So many times a risotto isn't enough to keep my family happy. Having a bowl of just the one flavour can get a little boring by the time you get to the bottom.
This risotto is given a real flavour lift with a quick homemade pesto topping. Chicken and bacon are pan-fried as the risotto cooks adding substance and flavour to the dish without extending your time in the kitchen. I've suggested garnishing the completed dish with pinenuts or pistachio for some crunch. We've also added a little extra parmesan because you can never have too much cheese!
If you enjoy my risotto and want to try another favourite of mine take a look at this Pumpkin Risotto with Crispy Sage
Would you mind tagging me on social media if you make any of my Thermokitchen recipes! Chatting and seeing your pictures really makes my day. #Thermokitchen
I would love to share more delicious recipes with you. For Thermomix recipe inspiration LETS CONNECT on;
Step by Step Chicken Risotto
Making risotto in the Thermomix is a total joy as there is no manual stirring required. This means no burns from splashing of rice mixture as you laborious stir and add liquid to the dish.
The first step in preparing the dish is to make the pesto. There's no need to clean the bowl once the pesto is made. I just start adding the risotto ingredients to the dirty TM bowl so the risotto takes on some of the basil and garlic flavours.
Whilst the Thermomix is cooking the risotto I panfry the chicken and bacon. I know some people would just add these ingredients to the risotto but I like the taste of golden fried chicken and crispy bacon that only frying can give.
Then it's simply a matter of serving the dish, starting with the risotto and adding all the toppings. You will find there will be leftover pesto. Store the leftovers in a jar in the fridge and add it to sandwiches or combine with aioli for a delicious salad dressing.
Pesto Chicken Risotto Thermomix
- 150 g parmesan cheese cut into large cubes
- 35 g fresh basil
- 5 g garlic
- 1 pinch salt
- 25 g pinenuts
- 45 g mild oil
- 20 g lemon juice
- 200 g baby spinach
- 150 g brown onion
- 15 g garlic
- 100 g bacon
- 20 g oil
- 300 g arborio rice
- 800 g water
- 2 teaspoon vegetable stock paste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 600 g chicken thigh fillets cut into strips
- 150 g bacon cut into strips
- 60 g pinenuts
- Add parmesan to TM bowl. Grate 5 sec/Speed 9. Reserve for later.
- Without cleaning the bowl, add basil, garlic, salt, pinenuts, oil and lemon juice. Blend 10 sec/Speed 7.
- Add 50g of the reserve parmesan cheese. Combine 10 sec/ Speed 2.5.
- Place prepared pesto in a jar and reserve in the fridge until serving.
- Without cleaning the bowl.
- Add spinach to the TM bowl. Chop 10 sec/Speed 5 (Use the spatula to move the spinach around the bowl whilst chopping.) Reserve spinach in ThermoServer.
- Place onion, garlic, bacon and oil in the TM bowl. Chop 3 sec/Speed 5.
- Saute 5 min/Varoma/Speed 1 (MC OUT)
- Add rice, water, vegetable stock paste and pepper to TM bowl. Cook 12 min/100 degrees/Speed 1 (REV Blade)
- Meanwhile, add bacon and chicken to a frying pan. Fry over low heat until cooked through and golden. Reserve
- Pour cooked risotto into the Thermoserver. At this stage, the risotto will still have quite a lot of liquid.
- Stir through the reserved spinach and add 50g of reserve parmesan cheese.
- Cover and allow to sit for 5 minutes. The risotto will finish cooking in the Thermoserver!
- Add risotto to serving bowl, top with a portion of bacon and chicken a generous dollop of pesto and more reserved parmesan and pinenuts.
Thanks so much for stopping by.
Please feel free to leave me a comment. I love hearing from everyone 🙂Rating the recipe once you’ve made the dish helps other readers decide whether to make my dishes, so I would love it if you could come back and let everyone know what you think.