My Thermomix creamy mashed cauliflower is a little different and so much better than other recipes. The mash is deliciously silky, loaded with fresh herbs, parmesan cheese and topped with nuts and seeds for extra crunch and nutrients.
The first time I made a cauliflower mash I was terribly underwhelmed. The taste of the mash was boring and not at all like the mashed potato I was craving. It' tasted just like cauliflower, the kids didn't like it, and I wasn't fussed on it either.
"I believe I have taken mashed cauliflower to the next level!"
Readers may be aware that cauliflower mash is very popular at the moment. The popularity of this dish is due to the current LCHF and Keto diet trend. This style of eating drastically limits carbohydrates. Cauliflower is low in carbohydrates compared with mashed potato, hence the rise in popularity of cauliflower mash. The problem is cauliflower mash doesn't taste like mashed potato. So I made it my job to improve the taste of this trendy side dish.
The challenge was to reduce the calories in my mashed cauliflower
The first thing I noticed about the majority of the cauliflower mash recipes was that the calorie count was incredibly high! Much higher than a bowl of mashed potato. I know!!! Crazy right!?! I think the reason it's so calorific is the recipes attempt to make the cauliflower mash tastier. To achieve this, most recipes use loads of cream and butter, making the dish high in saturated fat and calories.
I wanted to make a cauliflower mash that was tasty and didn't blow out my calorie allowance. I decided to experiment with herbs and parmesan cheese. The result is this delicious, fresh herbs, mashed cauliflower which has a distinctive green tint and yummy fresh flavour.
Loaded Mashed Cauliflower Toppings
There are so many possible toppings for this delicious mash. Below are some suggestions:
- 60g fried chorizo & grated Parmesan cheese
- 80g chunky pesto
- 60g salted cashew nuts (3sec/Speed 5)
LCHF and Keto Main Recipes
If you're looking for a low carb main meal to serve the mash alongside take a look at some of these recipe suggestions. We served ours with the Chicken Cacciatore and it was a perfect match.
Don’t forget to tag me on social media if you make any Thermokitchen recipes! I love connecting and seeing your pictures. #Thermokitchen
For more for more delicious Thermomix recipe inspirations FOLLOW ME on;
Loaded Creamy Mashed Cauliflower with Parmesan Cheese
- 120 g Parmesan Cheese cut in 4 pieces
- 65 g green shallot OR spring onion (Cut in 4 lengths)
- 20 g chives fresh (cut in 4 lengths)
- ¼ tsp peppercorns
- 20 g garlic
- 1 TBS vegetable stock paste
- 900 g cauliflower broken into florets
- 20 g butter
- 2 sprigs rosemary leaves removed from stem
- ¼ teaspoon salt optional
- 1 TBS pepita, pinenut and sunflower seed mix
- Place cheese in TM Bowl. Grate 3 sec/Speed 9.
- Remove the cheese from the bowl and reserve for later.
- Add garlic, peppercorns and chives to the bowl. Chop 5 sec/Speed 9.
- Remove herbs from the bowl and reserve for later.
- Add the shallots to the TM bowl. Chop 3 sec/Speed 9.
- Add the half the cauliflower florets to the TM bowl with the shallots. Chop 2 sec/Speed 8. Stir and repeat if necessary.
- Remove cauliflower mixture from the bowl and reserve for later.
- Add the remaining half the cauliflower florets to the TM bowl. Chop 2 sec/Speed 8. Stir and repeat if necessary.
- Return the first chopped cauliflower and the garlic and herb mixture to the TM bowl.
- Add the vegetable stock paste, butter, rosemary leaves and salt if using. Cook 12min/Varoma/Speed 1.
- Puree the cauliflower. 30 sec/Speed 6.
- Stir the cauliflower mash and increase the speed gradually from Speed 6 - 9 over one minute.
- Add half the parmesan cheese. Combine 10 sec/Speed 8.
- To serve, garnish with remaining parmesan cheese and mixed nuts.
Thank you once again for stopping by and checking out the website. Have you made the recipe? I’d love to know what you thought? Please let me know in the comments below. If you’ve made the recipe please give it a star rating. Rating the recipes let others know what you thought. ?