Thermomix coleslaw is a super easy salad or side dish to make. I've taken this dish one step further and paired the coleslaw with a zingy lime dressing. You will also notice the inclusion of green apples and slivered almonds.
I know it can be tempting to buy a packet of dry slaw from the supermarket or even one of those "dressing drenched" tubs of coleslaw, but homemade really is so much better! You may not think my Thermomix coleslaw could taste so much better than the bought varieties, but I promise it does. This apple slaw is worth the extra five minutes it takes to make.
Is Homemade Coleslaw Healthier than Store-bought?
When it comes to homemade salads it's not just the taste that's an improvement! The nutritional value of making your own Thermomix coleslaw salad is far superior to the store-bought varieties.
There are a number of reasons why this is true;
- Produce starts to lose nutrients from the time its harvested. Pre-made salads undergo longer processing time to get from the farm to the shelf. This means the vegetables used in the salad are considerably older than the unprepped vegetables on the shelf.
- Once you cut up fruit and vegetables the oxidisation further deteriorates the nutrient content. Pre cut salads usually have a "use by date" of a week or more after the packaging. This means the nutrients are depleting on the shelf at a faster rate than the whole vegetables.
- Making your own salads allows you to control the ingredients and avoid any additives.
- Salads with dressing added such as tub salads could have a large amount of sugar, unhealthy fats or artificial flavours.
Cost effective Coleslaw
Another reason I prefer to make my own coleslaw in the Thermomix is that it is much more cost-effective. Half a head of green cabbage and a quarter of purple cabbage makes enough coleslaw to feed a small army for multiple days. Adding a few other special touches such as apple and almond, or cranberry and roasted coconut changes the flavour and nutrient profile without adding a huge cost. Whereas in our house, premade salads are only just enough as a side for one meal.
Thermomix Coleslaw Ingredients
The main ingredients in my slaw are usually green cabbage and purple cabbage. I also like to add a herb for a bit of fresh flavour. I like coriander, but if I can find fresh dill this is another favourite. I also like to add something crunchy like fried shallots, almonds, peanuts or roasted coconut.
The ingredients for this coleslaw are shown below. I decided to cut the apple into matchsticks to create a texture change in the salad. Keeping the apple a little bit larger than the cabbage also allows the flavour to shine through better.
I share loads of great recipes on the page. Our community group page is a fabulous place to ask questions and share images of recipes you have made! It helps inspire others to cook new and interesting dishes.
If you would like more Thermomix recipes ideas, please follow the ThermoKitchen FB Page.
For more Thermomix recipe inspiration LETS CONNECT on;
Amazing Thermomix Coleslaw
- 200 g green cabbage
- 200 g purple cabbage
- 2 long green shallots sliced finely
- 15 g fresh coriander roughly chopped
- 30 g slivered almonds toasted
- 1 green apple sliced into matchsticks
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 black peppercorns
- 1 egg
- 2 limes juice only
- 450 g oil I like to use macadamia or almond oil but you can use any lightly or non flavoured oil.
- Place the green cabbage in the Thermomix. Chop 4 sec/Speed 4.
- Remove the cabbage from the Thermomix and reserve.
- Place the purple cabbage in the Thermomix. Chop 3 sec/Speed 5.
- Add the purple cabbage with the green cabbage
- Add the shallots, green apple, and coriander to the cabbage.
- Toss the ingredients to combine.
- Add the garlic, salt, and pepper to the TM bowl. Mince 3 sec/Speed 9.
- Scrape down the TM bowl.
- Add egg and half the lime juice. Mix 3 sec/Speed 7.
- Add the Butterfly whisk to the TM bowl.
- Set the timer for 3 min/speed 4. Slowly add the oil and lime juice
- Alternate between the lime juice and the oil until the time has finished.
- Reserve aioli in a jar to dress the Apple Slaw
- Serve the Apple slaw with a spoonful of dressing and garnish with toasted almonds.
- Reserve any remaining lime aioli.
I hope you have enjoyed this story. Feel free to leave a comment or start a discussion. If you have made a dish from this site I would love to know what you thought!
Leaving a comment and a star rating helps others decide if they should try my recipe. Plus if you hit the social media share buttons, your friends may find a delicious new recipe or Thermomix Tip too!
If you want to be notified when a new recipe is released sign up for my monthly newsletter. The form is also in the footer!
Thank you for stopping by,