Cheesymite Scrolls -Handmade & Thermomix Recipe
Cheesymite scrolls are a classic lunchbox item. Kids love the combination of cheese & Vegemite in a soft dough bun. Make my cheese & Vegemite scrolls for their lunch or as an afternoon snack. Easily made by hand but even quicker in the Thermomix.
My Cheesymite Scrolls are always a big hit with the kids. Lachlan especially prefers the homemade version. He explained to me that my scrolls have more flavour in every mouthful, plus there’s also crispy bits. I have to agree with him, I suspected that I’m a bit more heavy-handed with the cheese and vegemite!
Cheesymite Scroll Tips
I’ve included some tips for making the scrolls. They’re super easy but making the perfect dough is the secret.
- Knead the dough for the full time specified in the recipe. This activates the gluten and effects the softness of the dough.
- Proof in a warm spot until the dough has doubled in size.
- Once the scrolls have been rolled into scrolls they need a second proof. Find a warm spot and allow the cheesymite scrolls to achieve the size you like. If they don’t puff up as required, find a warmer spot and leave them to proof longer.
Making Scroll Dough by Hand
- Combine warm water, sugar and yeast in a small bowl and set aside until frothy.
- Place flour, salt and oil in a large mixing bowl, combine.
- Pour the activated yeast into the flour.
- Stir the mixture with a large spoon until combined
- Use your hands to knead the dough in the bowl for 5 minutes.
- Lightly flour a work surface and continue to knead the dough for another 10 minutes.
- Place the dough in a clean oiled mixing bowl.
- Cover with a tea towel and allow the dough to proof in a warm place until it has doubled in size.
- The dough is ready to make scrolls.
- Continue to the recipe card for a description of how to make the scrolls.
I’d love you to tag me on social media if you make any of my Thermokitchen recipes! Chatting and seeing your pictures really makes my day. #Thermokitchen
For more delicious Thermomix recipe inspiration LETS CONNECT on;
Step by Step in Pictures
…and now down to business, enjoy the recipe 🙂
My Cheesymite Scrolls are always a big hit with the kids. Perfect for the lunchbox or as an after school snack.
- 320 g warm tap water
- 5 g sugar
- 10 g yeast
- 510 g bakers flour
- 5 g salt
- 20 g vegetable oil
- 60 g Vegemite
- 250 g cheese block cheese cut in quarters
Wash a glass bowl in hot water then dry thoroughly.
Spray the clean, warm bowl with oil and put it in a warm place.
Add the water, yeast and sugar, then all other ingredients to the TM bowl. Knead 2 minutes. Scrape down the bowl.
Knead 1 min.
Remove the dough from the TM and form it into a ball.
Place the dough in the warmed bowl and cover with a clean tea towel to proof. Leave until it doubles in size.
Place the cheese in TM bowl. Grate 4sec/Speed 9. Reserve
Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
Line a roasting tray with baking paper.
Knead dough for 1 minute by hand to release the air.
Flour a work surface and place the dough on top.
Roll the dough until you have a 30cm x 20cm rectangle.
Use a butter knife to gently spread the Vegemite over the rectangle of dough.
Evenly spread cheese over the Vegemite and gently press it down.
Using the wide end of the dough closest to you, roll the scroll up.
Cut 9 evenly spaced sections from the dough cylinder.
Place each scroll on the prepared tray and cover with a tea towel.
Place the dough in a warm place to proof. *see the tips section
Once the vegemite scrolls have proofed to the required size, place the tray in the oven and bake for 25 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
NOTE: If you have any doubts as to the freshness of your yeast simply test it by activating it in a bowl with 320g warm water and a tsp sugar. If the yeast becomes frothy it is okay to continue with the recipe.
Thanks For Stopping By!
Thanks so much for stopping by and checking out the website. If you’re looking for more lunchbox ideas. just click on the link.
Please feel free to leave me a comment. I love hearing from everyone 🙂
Happy Cooking xx